Thursday, January 24, 2013

Antique eye candy

I love antique quilts, and this one was donated to the thrift store that I volunteer at. I just had to take some 
photos!  (They let me take it home for a few days!)  It's a striking quilt....whoever made this quilt loved color!  


There is a bit of everything here:  clarets, mourning prints, indigo, poison green, purple. The newest fabrics are from 1900-1910. I believe there are some older fabrics in there...maybe some madder.  What's missing are the light shirtings that you usually see in 1900-1910 quilts. 

 The backing, shown above, is a pretty rusty-red floral, which may be madder.  It's hand-quilted in a Baptist Fan pattern.




No...I didn't buy it!  It was sold for $65, which I think is an above-average Thrift Store price.  I'm thankful it will go to someone who will appreciate it!

Louise

1 comment:

  1. What a find! I'd have had a hard time taking it back to the thrift store! Thanks for sharing the pix!

    ReplyDelete